Venues 2.0 Client

Terry Disz disz at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Oct 18 11:24:15 CDT 2002

Ivan,

The venue client we are now using is what I call a pre-prototype. I am sure
Bob can elaborate when he gets back, but from my point of view, it serves
two purposes: To exercise the VV functionality and to provide a testbed for
the docking client. Towards that end, it is more or less hard coded to a
venue but does exercise the venue interface for enter, (but no navigation),
it implements all security Bob has been working on, it exercises the venue
interface for user objects, it has no node management functions, it provides
a client venue interface so the docking tools can gain access to user and
venue information. These latter functions were all in the original WS
docking architecture. I continue to expand it as needed for technical
research issues or other experiments. You can find it and the entire code
base in the fl cvs tree under VV2. I am running an experimental version now
that I have not checked in, which has added functionality.

All that being said, it certainly is high time we started to figure out what
the entire suite of requirements are, including UI, for a venues client we
want to deliver. I can start by extracting requirements of the Venues Client
from the docking documents and maybe Tom or you can contribute some node
management requirements.

Terry