RCE (Regional Center of Excellence) and the Grid

Rick Stevens stevens at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Oct 2 15:33:14 CDT 2002

Fred, Olaf,

I'm meeting with Jill Tarter after her Director's colloquium from 3-4 and
then could meet after that.  We should make sure
that Olaf gets a chance to see the AG and Active mural etc.  I also believe
Ian will be around tomorrow afternoon as
well.

At 03:25 PM 10/2/2002 -0500, Fred Stafford wrote:
>Rick--  I was just preparing a response to your e-mail when Olaf's e-mail
>arrived.  I agree that it is a great idea.
>
>When is a good time for you to meet?  Olaf and I have a 3:30 meeting at
>ANL tomorrow. Don't know about Olaf, but I could be there at 3 or stay as
>long as needed after (the probable ending time for that meeting) 4:30.
>

>As you know I am a great fan of the Access Grid (AG) not just as a means
>of holding tele-lectures and workshops, but as a means of
>teleconferencing.  Further, one could envisage eventually  pursuing Lance
>Becker's idea of linking Emergency Rooms by the AG.  The thought is that
>one means of being prepared for a bioterrorist attack would be to have
>means for ER physicians  to communicate easily with one another.

We have a project with NCSA/UIUC to develop a AG enabled collaborative
bioinformatics infrastructure (in involved Natalia's tools and tools from
ORNL as well).  We might
be able to leverage some of that work as well.

--Rick