media tool requirement

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Nov 14 08:11:48 CST 2002

thought I'd throw this out since I've been assuming we'd have do it at some
point

for implementing tight scoping of users, we'd like to be able to quickly
and universally change media stream encryption keys on the fly. the thing
that makes this hard is the management of transitions so we don't get
glitches, espeically in the audio. this will likely require close
examination of the data stremas during the transition periods, possibly
attempting decoding the streams with both keys until all streams have
switched to the new one.

there is also a communication requirement in that we need to get hte keys
pushed out from the venue to all clients in a close-to-synchronized manner,
but I'm not as worried about that.