sieve-dev a few questions on memory usage of isieve code

Shi Jin jinzishuai at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 20:18:22 CST 2008

Hi Matt,

Thank you for your fix. I am able to build petsc-dev now without any
problem.

First, I want to let you know that now I am able to run very large
simulations using isieve. Previously, we have a big limitation on the
problem size since in order to distribute a large 2nd order finite element
mesh, we need to find a large shared memory machine to do that. I was able
to improve the situation a little bit by storing the distributed sieve data
structured in files and load them in parallel on distributed memory
clusters. However, it does not eliminate the need of a large shared memory
machine at the very early stage. Recently, I eliminated this need based on
the fact that so far our simulations are done in cylinders (round or
rectangular) and there is no need to have different meshing along the axis
direction, and in order to make particle tracking easier, our domain
interface are simple plane surfaces perpendicular to the axis. So basically
along  the axial axis, I simply have the repetitive mesh with a shift. I was
able to reconstruct the unstrcutred mesh on each process based on the sieve
data generated for a two-process distributed mesh since the slave nodes have
basically the same topology. Now I can arbitrarily introduce as many
processor as we want, making the whole domain much longer. This is not a
general solution but it suits our need perfectly, at least for the time
being.  If you are interested in my implementation, I am happy to share it.

That said, I still face a bit of memory issue since I want to have as many
elements per process as possible. I did a detailed profiling of the memory
usage for a serial code (the parallel version is identical on each process)
with 259,200 elements (379,093 second order nodes). The decomposition looks
like the following:
*sieve mesh:                           *290MB*
discretization                         *25MB
*uvwp                                   *   270MB *
global order-p                        *90MB
*global order-vel                     *132MB
*caching                                  *25MB
*USG->CFD: dumping mesh     *72MB*
matrix/vector                          *557MB
*---------------------------------------------
Total:                                      *1461MB*
*
Where the matrix/vector is already as good as it can ever get but I think
there is room for improvement on the other parts (highlighted in red).

1. About the sieve mesh: there is not much to be done since you have already
optimized it. But I think it would be nice if we have the choice of not to
include faces in the data structured. In fact,  among all points in the data
structure, face points take about 50%. Since my code does not need faces,
this will save quite significant amount of memory. Also I think it is a good
feature to have for a general library  allowing users to choose the level of
interpolation.  However, this is not critical.

2. About the global orders: I think I mentioned this before and was told
that right now the global orders are stored in the old fashion and thus not
optimized. It is possible to make use of continuous memory just as isieve
does and it will surely save a lot of memory. I guess this is just a matter
of time for it to happen, right?

3. Finally the fields: I am still using the idea of fibration. The u, v, w
and p fields are obtained as fibrations of a single field s. It has worked
very well but I see it takes a lot of memory to create,  llmost as much as
the mesh itself. I remember you told me there is a new way. Create one mesh
for each field and the meshes can share the same sieve data. And I think you
have optimized it as ifield, right? But I have not tried it yet. This is the
real pressing question I am asking here: how do the memory usages compare
with each other for the two ways of building fields? If a lot of memory can
be saved, then I am definitely going to switch to the new method. And I
would love to have more guidance on how to implement it.

Again, thank you very much for your help.
--
Sincerely,
Shi Jin, Ph.D.