[petsc-users] Parallel processes run significantly slower

Steffen Wilksen | Universitaet Bremen swilksen at itp.uni-bremen.de
Fri Jan 12 08:43:09 CST 2024

  Thank you for your feedback.
@Stefano: the use of my communicator was intentional, since I later
intend to distribute M independent calculations to N processes, each
process then only needing to do M/N calculations. Of course I don't
expect speed up in my example since the number of calculations is
constant and not dependent on N, but I would hope that the time each
process takes does not increase too drastically with N.
@Barry: I tried to do the STREAMS benchmark, these are my results:
1  23467.9961   Rate (MB/s) 1
2  26852.0536   Rate (MB/s) 1.1442
3  29715.4762   Rate (MB/s) 1.26621
4  34132.2490   Rate (MB/s) 1.45442
5  34924.3020   Rate (MB/s) 1.48817
6  34315.5290   Rate (MB/s) 1.46223
7  33134.9545   Rate (MB/s) 1.41192
8  33234.9141   Rate (MB/s) 1.41618
9  32584.3349   Rate (MB/s) 1.38846
10  32582.3962   Rate (MB/s) 1.38838
11  32098.2903   Rate (MB/s) 1.36775
12  32064.8779   Rate (MB/s) 1.36632
13  31692.0541   Rate (MB/s) 1.35044
14  31274.2421   Rate (MB/s) 1.33263
15  31574.0196   Rate (MB/s) 1.34541
16  30906.7773   Rate (MB/s) 1.31698

I also attached the resulting plot. As it seems, I get very bad MPI
speedup (red curve, right?), even decreasing if I use too many
threads. I don't fully understand the reasons given in the discussion
you linked since this is all very new to me, but I take that this is a
problem with my computer which I can't easily fix, right?

----- Message from Barry Smith <bsmith at petsc.dev> ---------