[petsc-users] Is precondition works for ill-conditioned jacobian matrix

Gong Ding gongding at cn.cogenda.com
Thu Sep 14 04:35:14 CDT 2023

Hi all

I find such a nonlinear problem, the jacobian matrix is ill conditioned.

Solve the jacobian matrix by 64bit LU  solver, the Newton method failed
to convergence.

However, when solve the jacobian matrix by 128bit LU solver , Newton
iteration will convergence.

I think this phenomena indicate that , the jacobian matrix is ill
conditioned.

The question is, if I do a precondition as M*J*dx = -M*f(x), here M is
the precondition matrix, . then I solve the matrix A=M*J by a LU solver.

Can I expect that solve A=M*J has a better precision result that help
the convergence of Newton iteration?

Gong Ding