[petsc-users] Large MATMPIAIJ - 32bit integer overflow in nz value

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Wed May 17 10:10:51 CDT 2023

  Yeah, this is silly. The check is just a "sanity-check" on the data in the file. We store redundant information in the matrix header in the file, header[3] is the total number of nonzeros in the matrix. When nz is too large, the correct value cannot fit in the header.

  Changing the file format would be a breaking change meaning old files could no longer be read (MatLoad() can still load binary files saved in 1995) which would be bad.

  I think the easiest way to handle this is to provide an option to avoid the unneeded (and doesn't work) sanity check. In other words, something like -mat_load_ignore_nz turns off the sanity check in MatLoad_MPIAIJ_Binary(). Is that something you could try in an MR or would you prefer we do it?

  Barry