[petsc-users] DMSWARM particle coordinates per rank

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Fri May 12 04:14:59 CDT 2023

On Thu, May 11, 2023 at 9:15 PM Matthew Young <
myoung.space.science at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does setting up a PIC-type DMSWARM with an associated cell DM guarantee
> that each MPI rank will own the particles with coordinates inside the
> bounds of the portion of the grid it owns?

There is a caveat that we are currently fixing. Swarm communication is
setup to be nearest neighbor (since there is no coarse grid of
bounding boxes). So if your particles are initially in the right place, and
only move nearest neighbor, everything is fine. We are adding a hierarchy
of bounding boxes so that we can communicate anywhere.