[petsc-users] Understanding index sets for PCGASM

LEONARDO MUTTI leonardo.mutti01 at universitadipavia.it
Thu May 4 12:43:20 CDT 2023

Of course, I'll try to explain.

I am solving a parabolic equation with space-time FEM and I want an
efficient solver/preconditioner for the resulting system.
The corresponding matrix, call it X, has an e.g. block bi-diagonal
structure, if the cG(1)-dG(0) method is used (i.e. implicit Euler solved in
batch).
Every block-row of X corresponds to a time instant.

I want to introduce parallelism in time by subdividing X into overlapping
submatrices of e.g 2x2 or 3x3 blocks, along the block diagonal.
For instance, call X_i the individual blocks. The submatrices would be, for
various i, (X_{i-1,i-1},X_{i-1,i};X_{i,i-1},X_{i,i}).
I'd like each submatrix to be solved in parallel, to combine the various
results together in an ASM like fashion.
Every submatrix has thus a predecessor and a successor, and it overlaps
with both, so that as far as I could understand, GASM has to be used in
place of ASM.

Hope this helps.
Best,
Leonardo

Il giorno gio 4 mag 2023 alle ore 18:05 Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com>
ha scritto:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Hello. I am having a hard time understanding the index sets to feed
>>> PCGASMSetSubdomains, and I am working in Fortran (as a PETSc novice). To
>>> get more intuition on how the IS objects behave I tried the following
>>> minimal (non) working example, which should tile a 16x16 matrix into 16
>>> square, non-overlapping submatrices:
>>>
>>> #include <petsc/finclude/petscmat.h>
>>> #include <petsc/finclude/petscksp.h>
>>> #include <petsc/finclude/petscpc.h>
>>>       USE petscmat
>>>       USE petscksp
>>>       USE petscpc
>>>
>>>       Mat   :: A
>>>       PetscInt :: M, NSubx, dof, overlap, NSub
>>>       INTEGER :: I,J
>>>       PetscErrorCode      :: ierr
>>>       PetscScalar :: v
>>>       KSP            :: ksp
>>>       PC             :: pc
>>>       IS :: subdomains_IS, inflated_IS
>>>
>>>       call PetscInitialize(PETSC_NULL_CHARACTER , ierr)
>>>
>>> !-----Create a dummy matrix
>>>       M = 16
>>>       call MatCreateAIJ(MPI_COMM_WORLD, PETSC_DECIDE, PETSC_DECIDE,
>>>      & M, M,
>>>      & PETSC_DEFAULT_INTEGER, PETSC_NULL_INTEGER,
>>>      & PETSC_DEFAULT_INTEGER, PETSC_NULL_INTEGER,
>>>      & A, ierr)
>>>
>>>       DO I=1,M
>>>          DO J=1,M
>>>             v = I*J
>>>             CALL MatSetValue (A,I-1,J-1,v,
>>>      &                     INSERT_VALUES , ierr)
>>>          END DO
>>>       END DO
>>>
>>>       call MatAssemblyBegin(A,MAT_FINAL_ASSEMBLY , ierr)
>>>       call MatAssemblyEnd(A,MAT_FINAL_ASSEMBLY , ierr)
>>>
>>> !-----Create KSP and PC
>>>       call KSPCreate(PETSC_COMM_WORLD,ksp, ierr)
>>>       call KSPSetOperators(ksp,A,A, ierr)
>>>       call KSPSetType(ksp,"bcgs",ierr)
>>>       call KSPGetPC(ksp,pc,ierr)
>>>       call KSPSetUp(ksp, ierr)
>>>       call PCSetType(pc,PCGASM, ierr)
>>>       call PCSetUp(pc , ierr)
>>>
>>> !-----GASM setup
>>>       NSubx = 4
>>>       dof = 1
>>>       overlap = 0
>>>
>>>       call PCGASMCreateSubdomains2D(pc,
>>>      &      M, M,
>>>      &      NSubx, NSubx,
>>>      &      dof, overlap,
>>>      &      NSub, subdomains_IS, inflated_IS, ierr)
>>>
>>>       call ISView(subdomains_IS, PETSC_VIEWER_STDOUT_WORLD, ierr)
>>>
>>>       call KSPDestroy(ksp, ierr)
>>>       call PetscFinalize(ierr)
>>>
>>> Running this on one processor, I get NSub = 4.
>>> If PCASM and PCASMCreateSubdomains2D are used instead, I get NSub = 16
>>> as expected.
>>> Moreover, I get in the end "forrtl: severe (157): Program Exception -
>>> access violation". So:
>>> 1) why do I get two different results with ASM, and GASM?
>>> 2) why do I get access violation and how can I solve this?
>>> In fact, in C, subdomains_IS, inflated_IS should pointers to IS objects.
>>> As I see on the Fortran interface, the arguments to
>>> PCGASMCreateSubdomains2D are IS objects:
>>>
>>>        subroutine PCGASMCreateSubdomains2D(a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,z)
>>> 3) what should be inside e.g., subdomains_IS? I expect it to contain,