[petsc-users] Petsc 3.19.2 to 3.18.0 error possibility.

Paweł Stebliński psteb at bobolin.com.pl
Fri Jun 23 16:30:52 CDT 2023

I am micromagnetic (MAGPAR) software developer. Old Magpar version has
been using petsc 3.1-p8. I have decided to upgrade to petsc 3.19.2 with
avx512 support. Unfortunately there appeared an error during software
testing. Error appeares in ranning code after proper compiling and
linking. The bug is in a code part which initializes matrix in petsc
library versions: 3.19.2, 3.19.1, 3.19.0 and also from 3.18.5 to 3.18.0.
If we use petsc version 3.17.5 the error doesn't appear. With this
version (3.17.5) all is ok and simulation is running without any errors
or throwing exceptions. My guess is linked to avx512 implementation
which is good up to 3.17.5 version and buggy in upper mentioned versions
with higher numbers. Avx512 is buggy according to tested SeqAij matrices.

The exception is not thrown if we comment code fragment below.

ierr = MatCreateSeqAIJ(
     PETSC_COMM_SELF,
     nvert,nvert,
     0,ia,
     &mat
   );CHKERRQ(ierr);
   ierr = MatSetFromOptions(mat);CHKERRQ(ierr);

ia - is number of nonzeros array which is obtained according parmetis
partitioning. There were the same version of parmetis  (3.1.1) in the
all considered cases.