[petsc-users] How to efficiently fill in, in parallel, a PETSc matrix from a COO sparse matrix?

Diego Magela Lemos diegomagela at usp.br
Wed Jun 21 13:16:01 CDT 2023

So far, I've tried this:

// fill_in_matrix.cc

static char help[] = "Fill in a parallel COO format sparse matrix.";

#include <petsc.h>
#include <vector>

int main(int argc, char **args)
{
    MPI_Comm comm;
    Mat A;
    PetscInt m = 5;
    PetscMPIInt rank, size;

    PetscCall(PetscInitialize(&argc, &args, NULL, help));

    comm = PETSC_COMM_WORLD;
    PetscCallMPI(MPI_Comm_rank(comm, &rank));
    PetscCallMPI(MPI_Comm_size(comm, &size));

    PetscCall(MatCreate(comm, &A));
    PetscCall(MatSetSizes(A, PETSC_DECIDE, PETSC_DECIDE, m, m));
    PetscCall(MatSetFromOptions(A));
    PetscCall(MatSetUp(A));

    std::vector<PetscInt> coo_i{0, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4};
    std::vector<PetscInt> coo_j{0, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4};
    std::vector<PetscScalar> coo_v{2, -1, 2, 3, 4, 5};

    PetscCallMPI(MPI_Comm_rank(comm, &rank));

    if (rank == 0)
    {
        for (size_t j = 0; j < coo_i.size(); j++)
            PetscCall(MatSetValues(A,
                                   1, &coo_i.at(j),
                                   1, &coo_j.at(j),
                                   &coo_v.at(j),
                                   ADD_VALUES));

        PetscCall(MatAssemblyBegin(A, MAT_FINAL_ASSEMBLY));
        PetscCall(MatAssemblyEnd(A, MAT_FINAL_ASSEMBLY));
        PetscCall(MatView(A, PETSC_VIEWER_STDERR_WORLD));
    }

    PetscCall(MatDestroy(&A));
    PetscCall(PetscFinalize());

    return 0;
}

When running with 1 process, it runs like a charm, but when running with
more than one process, the code does not finish. Somehow it gets stuck
forever.