[petsc-users] Question about using PETSc to generate matrix preconditioners

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Tue Jul 25 15:15:24 CDT 2023

I think random matrices will produce misleading results. The chance of randomly generating a matrix that resembles an application is effectively zero. I think you'd be better off with some model problems varying parameters that control the physical regime (e.g., shifts to a Laplacian, advection with/without upwinding at varying cell Peclet numbers, varying nondimensional parameters, time step, and boundary layers for fluids, varying Poisson ratio and material contrast in elasticity).