[petsc-users] Something went wrong with PETSc after installing ParaView

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 07:22:58 CDT 2023

On Sat, Aug 5, 2023 at 3:22 AM K. Wu <wuktsinghua at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Good day!
>
> After installing ParaView on my desktop, PETSc starts to work anomalously
> even after reconfiguration:
> 1. If I use mpirun (frequently used before), it seems that now all the
> processors will run the program independently without communication. While
> mpiexec seems to work properly.

Yes, this indicates that the "mpirun" is from a different installation of
MPI than "mpiexec", which seems to be from the MPI installation used to
build PETSc. Probably the Paraview package installed its own MPI package.

> 2. The Makefile (as attached) which works fine before starts to complain:
> make: *** No rule to make target 'chkopts', needed by 'test'.  Stop.

The 'chkopts' target is defined in the toplevel PETSc makefile, but it is
deprecated. You can take it out.