[petsc-users] DMPlex edge/vertex orientation

onur.notonur onur.notonur at proton.me
Fri Aug 4 11:05:48 CDT 2023

Hi,

I'm currently working with 3D DMPlex and performing crucial calculations involving face normals and edge tangents. I've noticed that face normals are directed from support[0] to support[1]. However, I'm uncertain about the conventions for edges and vertices in relation to faces. Specifically, I need to determine the order of vertices that create a surface and whether they are stored in a counter-clockwise (CCW) or clockwise (CW) manner. As DMPlex follows a hierarchy of cell-face-edge-vertex, my main question becomes about the orientation of edges. Any clarification on this aspect would be immensely helpful!

Additionally, I'm unfamiliar with most of the terms used in DMPlex. For example "orientation" in DMPlexGetConeOrientation. If you could suggest some readings or resources that explain these concepts, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thx,
Onur

Sent with [Proton Mail](https://proton.me/) secure email.