[petsc-users] Adaptive mesh refinement for transient problem

Buesing, Henrik HBuesing at eonerc.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Mar 31 11:34:19 CDT 2017

Von: Matthew Knepley [mailto:knepley at gmail.com]
Gesendet: Freitag, 31. März 2017 17:15
An: Buesing, Henrik <HBuesing at eonerc.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc: petsc-users <petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov>
Betreff: Re: [petsc-users] Adaptive mesh refinement for transient problem

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 10:09 AM, Buesing, Henrik <HBuesing at eonerc.rwth-aachen.de<mailto:HBuesing at eonerc.rwth-aachen.de>> wrote:
Dear all,

I was wondering if it is possible to integrate adaptive mesh refinement into my code (transient, cell centered on a regular grid). I was looking at DMForest, but I’m unsure how much effort is needed to include this.

The honest answer is, a lot of effort right now. Just using a grid you know you want is not that hard. However,
incorporating a real refinement loop is not worked out yet. You can see how much code we had to use in
TS ex11.
[Buesing, Henrik] I see. Had a look at TS ex11 and even excluding the Riemann solver (assuming I can interpolate the unknowns at the hanging nodes) it seems not totally trivial.

Toby and I hope to have a much more user-friendly interface soon (meaning by the end of summer). You can
either wait for that, or help us get it up and going :)
[Buesing, Henrik] Let me finish my Ph.D. and I will come back to you for testing at the end of summer. :)

…
Thank you!
Henrik

Thank you!
Henrik

--
Dipl.-Math. Henrik Büsing
Institute for Applied Geophysics and Geothermal Energy