[petsc-users] Adaptive mesh refinement for transient problem

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 10:15:19 CDT 2017

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 10:09 AM, Buesing, Henrik <
HBuesing at eonerc.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

> Dear all,
>

> I was wondering if it is possible to integrate adaptive mesh refinement
> into my code (transient, cell centered on a regular grid). I was looking at
> DMForest, but I’m unsure how much effort is needed to include this.

The honest answer is, a lot of effort right now. Just using a grid you know
you want is not that hard. However,
incorporating a real refinement loop is not worked out yet. You can see how
much code we had to use in
TS ex11.

Toby and I hope to have a much more user-friendly interface soon (meaning
by the end of summer). You can
either wait for that, or help us get it up and going :)

> What would I need to do? Write some indicator functions to mark cells for
> refinement/coarsening. Prolongation and restriction operators should be
> just a matter of averaging.
>
> But what about the hanging nodes? The two-point flux approximation I’m
> using would give wrong results here…

1) If you have an idea what the indicator function should be, great! We can
do things just like TS ex11.

2) Toby has already coded up a consistent interpolation for FV on
non-conforming grids. Yes 2-point flux is
    a problem. In TS ex11 we use a pointwise Riemann solver (I think that
is the right term). Jed and Toby understand
   these things better than I do.

Thank you!