[petsc-users] Need advice to do blockwise matrix-vector multiplication

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Fri Jan 20 15:07:16 CST 2017

>    Should we have a matrix class based on this software; rather than custom MatShell for each person? If we did this what are the best tensor contraction libraries to use? What are the abstractions? Especially when it is sparse matrices in sparse matrices?

CTF is the best I know for what it does.  But I think it might be a bit
like MatFFTW in that a supported Mat impl would be a maintenance burden
of marginal value.  (I would argue that the most common use of FFT in
scientific computing is in the form of a convolution, for which the
abstraction leaks and needs to be composed anyway.)  I could be wrong,
and if someone is using CTF and sees a good way to make a useful MatCTF
and has the energy to do so, I think it would be welcome.