[petsc-users] malconfigured gamg

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Wed Jan 11 21:31:31 CST 2017

>> On Jan 11, 2017, at 3:51 PM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:
>>
>> Arne Morten Kvarving <arne.morten.kvarving at sintef.no> writes:
>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> first, this was an user error and i totally acknowledge this, but i
>>> wonder if this might be an oversight in your error checking: if you
>>> configure gamg with ilu/asm smoothing, and are stupid enough to have set
>>> the number of smoother cycles to 0, your program churns along and
>>> apparently converges just fine (towards garbage, but apparently 'sane'
>>> garbage (not 0, not nan, not inf))
>>
>> My concern here is that skipping smoothing actually makes sense, e.g.,
>> for Kaskade cycles (no pre-smoothing).  I would suggest checking the
>> unpreconditioned (or true) residual in order to notice when a singular
>> preconditioner causes stagnation (instead of misdiagnosing it as
>> convergence due to the preconditioned residual dropping).
>
>   Jed,
>
>   Yeah but what about checking that the sum of the number of pre and post smooths >=1 ?

Usually fine, but what one potential use case is if someone wants to
test a more aggressive coarsening strategy.  For example, using zero
smooths on odd levels would be double-rate coarsening and might be more
convenient to implement than the direct operators.  (In the
strong-scaling limit, it might also be a good communication pattern for
reducing the process set.)