[petsc-users] malconfigured gamg

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Wed Jan 11 15:51:24 CST 2017

Arne Morten Kvarving <arne.morten.kvarving at sintef.no> writes:

> hi,
>
> first, this was an user error and i totally acknowledge this, but i
> wonder if this might be an oversight in your error checking: if you
> configure gamg with ilu/asm smoothing, and are stupid enough to have set
> the number of smoother cycles to 0, your program churns along and
> apparently converges just fine (towards garbage, but apparently 'sane'
> garbage (not 0, not nan, not inf))

My concern here is that skipping smoothing actually makes sense, e.g.,
for Kaskade cycles (no pre-smoothing).  I would suggest checking the
unpreconditioned (or true) residual in order to notice when a singular
preconditioner causes stagnation (instead of misdiagnosing it as
convergence due to the preconditioned residual dropping).