[petsc-users] nondeterministic behavior with ./program -help | head

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Wed Apr 26 17:44:24 CDT 2017

PETSc is the only package I know for which "./app -help" does everything
that "./app" would do, with extra output.  It is an unfortunate
consequence of extensibility that we can't exit immediately.  What if we
had a function the user could call to exit early and cleanly after all
options have been processed?  Maybe something like:

  PetscInitialize
  if (PetscHelpActive()) {
    TSSetDuration(ts,1,PETSC_DEFAULT);
    PetscExitSilently();
  }

where PetscExitSilently doesn't print -malloc or -log_view or the like.

We should probably also have "-help snes,ksp_fieldsplit" that would only
print help for options with those prefixes.