[petsc-users] Understanding DMPlexDistribute overlap

Francesco Caimmi francesco.caimmi at polimi.it
Thu Apr 6 04:25:04 CDT 2017

Dear Matt,

thanks for your reply.

On mercoledì 5 aprile 2017 21:09:43 CEST Matthew Knepley wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 6:03 AM, Francesco Caimmi <francesco.caimmi at polimi.it
>>[...]
> > the program fails with the error message captured in the attached file
> > error.log. Changing the number of processors does not alter the behavior.
> > Note
> > also that the same holds if I use a mesh generated by DMPlexCreateBoxMesh.
>
> Francesco, I will reproduce your problem, but it may take me a few days.

Thank you very much for your time.

> It is strange since we have tests for overlap > 1 that do use
> CreateBoxMesh. For example,
>
>   cd src/dm/impls/plex/examples/tests
>   make ex12
>   mpiexec -n 8 -test_partition -overlap 2 -dm_view ::ascii_info_detail

Anyway, there might be something related to my install: for the records, if I
do

$cd src/dm/impls/plex/examples/tests
$make ex12

I get

 /home/fcaimmi/Packages/petsc/my-linux-petsc/bin/mpicc     ex12.c   -o ex12
ex12.c:3:25: fatal error: petscdmplex.h: No such file or directory
 #include <petscdmplex.h>
                         ^
compilation terminated.
<builtin>: recipe for target 'ex12' failed
make: *** [ex12] Error 1

I get this error I cannot explain ( I am not that much into PETSc build
system, I mostly use the python bindings), since for example I can
successfully build ex1.c or ex3.c which of course contain the same include
statement...

I don't know if this is useful to track the issue, but hope it helps.

Thank you again,
FC

--
Francesco Caimmi

Laboratorio di Ingegneria dei Polimeri
http://www.chem.polimi.it/polyenglab/

Politecnico di Milano - Dipartimento di Chimica,
Materiali e Ingegneria Chimica “Giulio Natta”

P.zza Leonardo da Vinci, 32
I-20133 Milano
Tel. +39.02.2399.4711
Fax +39.02.7063.8173

francesco.caimmi at polimi.it
Skype: fmglcaimmi (please arrange meetings by e-mail)