[petsc-users] Understanding DMPlexDistribute overlap

Michael Lange michael.lange at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Apr 5 04:50:59 CDT 2017

Hi Francesco,

Your description is almost correct: the overlap defines the topological
depth of shared entities as counted in "neighboring cells", where a cell
counts as a neighbor of an owned cell according to the defined adjacency
style. So for overlap=0 only facets, edges and vertices may be shared
along the partition boundary, whereas for overlap=1 you can expect one
additional "layer" of cells around each partition (the partitioning is
done based on cell connectivity). For second neighbors, however, you
need overlap=2. And yes, there is conceptually no upper bound on the
overlap.

Hope this helps,

Michael