[petsc-users] Use previous solution when encountering "DIVERGED_LINE_SEARCH"

Justin Chang jychang48 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 20:27:14 CST 2016

Hi all,

I am running some transient simulations using SNESVINEWTONRSLS. At certain
timesteps, I get a "DIVERGED_LINE_SEARCH" which essentially "resets" my
solution to zero and messes everything up. I notice that this happens when
the SNES Function norm no longer decreases, and if I were to manually
terminate the solver right before the final iteration I get the answer I
want.

Is there a way to "detect" this error and use the solution from the
previous non-failing iteration? Setting a fixed maximum iteration doesn't
seem reasonble because every time level will require different numbers of
iterations to converge.

Thanks,
Justin