[petsc-users] Saving vector with hdf5 viewer

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 10:17:53 CST 2016

On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 8:25 AM, Alejandro D Otero <aotero at fi.uba.ar> wrote:

> Hello, I am trying to save some field stored in a vector which has values
> associated with vertexes, edges and cells in a DMPlex.
> This vector was created (using petsc4py) from a petcs section, setting
> this as default section and then creating the vector from the DMPlex.
> The thing is that when I save that vector using the hdf5 viewer I found 2
> entities inside it. One corresponding to the values for all DoF in the
> DMPlex (under the group fields), and another with values only for nodes
> (under the group: vertex_fields).
> That meaning a useless duplication of data, is it possible to set the
> viewer only to store one of those groups? Preferably the complete one, but
> in the future only the vertex one could be usefull.

The problem here is that hdf5 is being used for two different purposes:
serialization and visualization. I automatically
downsample both the grid and the fields so that they can be visualized
using Paraview. I understand that you need
control over which form is output. I will put this in soon. My first
objective was just to get visualization working with
exotic elements and multiple fields.