[petsc-users] Multi-physics meshes with PETSc DM?

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 13:11:15 CDT 2016

On Sat, Jul 30, 2016 at 1:06 PM, Andrew Ho <andrewh0 at uw.edu> wrote:

> 1) I don't use Physical Groups from GMsh since its unclear how this would
>> be reflected in the discretization
>

> If I'm not using physical groups in GMsh, how do I easily denote what part
> of the domain should be handled with which physics? I would like to be able
> to use the same code with similar but not identical meshes (for example to
> do a convergence study), so manually iterating through a list of vertices
> at the element height stratum in a chart doesn't provide any hints on which
> subdomain an element is suppose to belong in.

I think the right way to handle all this is to just mark pieces of the
mesh. Mesh formats should just have a generic marking
ability which does not differentiate between vertices, edges, faces, and
cells. Some formats come close (ExodusII) and some
are just crazy (GMsh). If you can point me toward the documentation for the
GMsh format, I will put in code to translate whatever
part marks cells to a cell label, as we do for ExodusII.