[petsc-users] Questions for MatSolve

Eduardo Jourdan eduardojourdan92 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 13:17:52 CDT 2016

Hi all,

I would like to perform a specific number (for instance 4 of forward and
backward sweeps with a seqaij matrix with block size 4, vectors b and x.
Also, I need to do this same procedure with another matrix seqaij block
size 16. I would appreciate if someone knows the best way to do it.

1 - I've been trying to use MatSolve. For the bs=4 it seems to work, but
with the other matrix with bs=16 the residue diverges. When I call
matConvert to convert the later matrix for a seqbaij with bs=16 the result
changes and the linear residue is reduced. It is supposed to happen or it
is more possible that i am doing something wrong?

2 - MatSolve for seqbaij and seqaij with the same block sizes gives the
same results in terms of solution (not performace, memory) ?

3 - Can do I do a specific number of sweeps as told before with the KSP/PC
interface?

4 - I saw the manual for the MatSolve and It says that it is for factored
matrix. Can I use a matrix just after the MatAssembly calls?

Best regards,

Eduardo Jourdan