[petsc-users] Why use MATMPIBAIJ?

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 16:06:09 CST 2016

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 3:47 PM, Hom Nath Gharti <hng.email at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> SPECFEM currently has only an explicit time scheme and does not have
> full gravity implemented. I am adding implicit time scheme and full
> gravity so that it can be used for interesting quasistatic problems
> such as glacial rebound, post seismic relaxation etc. I am using Petsc
> as a linear solver which I would like to see GPU implemented.

Why? It really does not make sense for those operations.

It is an unfortunate fact, but the usefulness of GPUs has been oversold.
You can certainly
get some mileage out of a SpMV on the GPU, but there the maximum win is
maybe 2x or
less for a nice CPU, and then you have to account for transfer time and
other latencies.
Unless you have a really compelling case, I would not waste your time.

To come to this opinion, I used years of my own time looking at GPUs.