[petsc-users] Why use MATMPIBAIJ?

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 12:07:04 CST 2016

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 11:47 AM, Hom Nath Gharti <hng.email at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks a lot.
>
> With AMG it did not converge within the iteration limit of 3000.
>
> In solid: elastic wave equation with added gravity term \rho \nabla\phi
> In fluid: acoustic wave equation with added gravity term \rho \nabla\phi
> Both solid and fluid: Poisson's equation for gravity
> Outer space: Laplace's equation for gravity
>
> We combine so called mapped infinite element with spectral-element
> method (higher order FEM that uses nodal quadrature) and solve in
> frequency domain.

1) The Poisson and Laplace equation should be using MG, however you are
using SEM, so
    you would need to use a low order PC for the high order problem, also
called p-MG (Paul Fischer), see

      http://epubs.siam.org/doi/abs/10.1137/110834512

2) The acoustic wave equation is Helmholtz to us, and that needs special MG
tweaks that
     are still research material so I can understand using ASM.

3) Same thing for the elastic wave equations. Some people say they have
this solved using
    hierarchical matrix methods, something like

      http://portal.nersc.gov/project/sparse/strumpack/

    However, I think the jury is still out.

If you can do 100 iterations of plain vanilla solvers, that seems like a
win right now. You might improve
the time using FS, but I am not sure about the iterations on the smaller
problem.