[petsc-users] 3.5 -> 3.6 Change in MatOrdering Behavior

Hong hzhang at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jan 21 11:16:54 CST 2016

Paul :
Using petsc-dev (we recently added feature for better displaying
convergence behavior), I found that '-sub_pc_factor_mat_ordering_type 1wd'
causes zero pivot:

./ex10 -f0 test.mat -rhs 0 -pc_type asm -pc_asm_overlap 12 -sub_pc_type ilu
-sub_pc_factor_mat_ordering_type 1wd -sub_pc_factor_levels 4
-ksp_converged_reason
Linear solve did not converge due to DIVERGED_PCSETUP_FAILED iterations 0
               PCSETUP_FAILED due to SUBPC_ERROR
Number of iterations =   0

adding option '-info |grep zero'
[0] MatPivotCheck_none(): Detected zero pivot in factorization in row 0
value 0. tolerance 2.22045e-14

or '-ksp_error_if_not_converged'
[0]PETSC ERROR: Zero pivot in LU factorization:
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/documentation/faq.html#zeropivot
[0]PETSC ERROR: Zero pivot row 0 value 0. tolerance 2.22045e-14

'-sub_pc_factor_mat_ordering_type natural' avoids it:
./ex10 -f0 test.mat -rhs 0 -pc_type asm -pc_asm_overlap 12 -sub_pc_type ilu
-sub_pc_factor_mat_ordering_type natural -sub_pc_factor_levels 4
-ksp_converged_reason
Linear solve converged due to CONVERGED_RTOL iterations 1
Number of iterations =   1
  Residual norm < 1.e-12

Hong

Greetings,