[petsc-users] KSPConvergedReason = KSP_CONVERGED_ITERATING

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jan 11 22:45:19 CST 2016

   Hmm, KSPSolve() should never complete with a KSP_CONVERGED_ITERATING so something is definitely not going well.

   Have you run your code with valgrind to make sure there is not some subtle memory bug that only rears its ugly head after a great deal of time? http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/documentation/faq.html#valgrind  I would do this first.

    It is possible to use the -g flag even with optimized builds to get debug symbols even with optimization (in fact that is our new default) so depending on the machine you are running on and how many MPI processes you use it could be possible to simply run the run in the debugger (-start_in_debugger) and then come back the next day when one process returns and the others hang then control c the other processes and see where they are in the code.

Barry