[petsc-users] Segmentation Fault in MatAssembly

Bikash Kanungo bikash at umich.edu
Sat Feb 13 16:43:55 CST 2016

Hi,

I have a small (~ 2500x2500) dense matrix, say A, parallelized over 480
procs and stored as MPIAIJ instead of MPIDENSE. This is because I have to
perform MatMatMult of A with an MPIDENSE matrix, say B. Since MatMatMult is
not supported if both A and B are dense, I'm storing A as MPIAIJ.  The
entries in A are inserted only by processor 0 through MatSetValues. Now
while assembling A, I sometimes get segmentation fault. This error is
random,it shows up in one run and doesn't in another. I understand that it
doesn't make much sense to distribute such a small matrix over 480 procs,
but what can be a possible reason for such random segmentation faults?

Regards,
Bikash

--
Bikash S. Kanungo