[petsc-users] mathematics formula of DMPlexProjectFunction

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 13:44:22 CDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 1:32 PM, Fande Kong <fdkong.jd at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jed, Thanks.
>
> It means that the inner product against basis "n_i" is just the function
> value at the point "x_i" if the function is sufficiently regular, e.g.,
> sin(x) or cos(x).

No, n_i is not part of the basis for the approximation space, its a basis
vector for the dual space. Thus its
not an inner product, it the dual pairing. Here we can always use an
integral since the dual elements can
be represented by measures

  Riesz-Markov-Kakutani Representation Theorem (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riesz%E2%80%93Markov%E2%80%93Kakutani_representation_theorem
)

    Matt