[petsc-users] Points in a ball

Francesco Caimmi francesco.caimmi at polimi.it
Tue Oct 20 02:53:27 CDT 2015

Dear all,

for an application I have in mind I have a domain divided in cells (more or less) and
for each cell centroid, say ci, I need  to know which cell centroids are inside a
spherical neighbourhood of radius r  centred at ci.

Were the centroids placed on regular grid, a typical value for the ratio of r over
the grid spacing would be something like 3 or 4.

However, since the discrete domain is actually not structured, I am using a DMPlex
object to manage the domain.

It is not very clear to me *if* and *how* I can tell the DMPlex to add ghost
points for all the points in such a spherical neighbourhood. If I were using  DMDA
object I think I could just set the stencil width, but I wasn't able to figure out a
corresponding option/procedure for DMPlex (if it exists).

Any hint would be really really appreciated.

Best Regards,
--
Francesco Caimmi

Laboratorio di Ingegneria dei Polimeri
http://www.chem.polimi.it/polyenglab/

Politecnico di Milano - Dipartimento di Chimica,
Materiali e Ingegneria Chimica “Giulio Natta”

P.zza Leonardo da Vinci, 32
I-20133 Milano
Tel. +39.02.2399.4711
Fax +39.02.7063.8173

francesco.caimmi at polimi.it
Skype: fmglcaimmi (please arrange meetings by e-mail)