[petsc-users] DMPlex: Ghost points after DMRefine

Morten Nobel-Jørgensen mono at mek.dtu.dk
Mon Nov 30 10:24:40 CST 2015

Hi Matt

I don’t think the problem is within Petsc - rather somewhere in my code. When I dump the DMPlex using DMView (ascii-info–detail) the ghost mapping seems to be setup correctly.

Is there a better way to determine if a local point is a ghost point?

The way I iterate the DMPlex is like this:

void iterateDMPlex(DM dm){
    Vec coordinates;
    DMGetCoordinatesLocal(dm, &coordinates);
    PetscSection defaultSection;
    DMGetDefaultSection(dm, &defaultSection);
    PetscSection coordSection;
    DMGetCoordinateSection(dm, &coordSection);
    PetscScalar *coords;
    VecGetArray(coordinates, &coords);
    DM cdm;
    DMGetCoordinateDM(dm, &cdm);

    // iterate (local) mesh
    PetscInt cellsFrom, cellsTo;
    std::string s = "";
    DMPlexGetHeightStratum(dm, 0, &cellsFrom, &cellsTo);
    for (PetscInt i=cellsFrom;i<cellsTo;i++) {
        PetscInt edgesSize;
        const PetscInt *edgeIndices;
        DMPlexGetConeSize(dm, i, &edgesSize);
        DMPlexGetCone(dm, i, &edgeIndices);
        s = s + "Element: "+std::to_string(i)+"\n";

        for (int edgeId = 0;edgeId <edgesSize;edgeId ++){ // ignore edge orientation
            PetscInt points = edgeIndices[edgeId];
            PetscInt edgePoint = edgeIndices[edgeId];
            s = s + "\tEdge: "+std::to_string(edgePoint)+"\n";
            PetscInt vertexSize;
            const PetscInt *vertexIndices;
            DMPlexGetConeSize(dm, edgePoint, &vertexSize);
            DMPlexGetCone(dm, edgePoint, &vertexIndices);

            for (int j=0;j<vertexSize;j++){
                s = s + "\t\tVertex: "+std::to_string(vertexIndices[j]);

                s = s + " coords ";
                PetscScalar* values;
                VecGetValuesSection(coordinates, coordSection,vertexIndices[j],&values);

                int dim = 2;
                for (int k=0;k<dim;k++){
                    double coordinate = values[k];

                    s = s +std::to_string(coordinate)+" ";
                }

                s = s + (isGhost(cdm, vertexIndices[j])?" ghost":"");

            }
        }
    }

    VecRestoreArray(coordinates, &coords);

    int rank;
    MPI_Comm_rank (PETSC_COMM_WORLD, &rank);   // get current process id

    PetscSynchronizedPrintf(PETSC_COMM_WORLD,”dmplex iteration rank %d \n %s\n",rank, s.c_str());
    PetscSynchronizedFlush(PETSC_COMM_WORLD,PETSC_STDOUT);
}