[petsc-users] Big discrepancy between machines

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 01:20:43 CST 2015

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 1:09 AM, Timothée Nicolas <
timothee.nicolas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have noticed I have a VERY big difference in behaviour between two
> machines in my problem, solved with SNES. I can't explain it, because I
> have tested my operators which give the same result. I also checked that
> the vectors fed to the SNES are the same. The problem happens only with my
> shell preconditioner. When I don't use it, and simply solve using -snes_mf,
> I don't see anymore than the usual 3-4 changing digits at the end of the
> residuals. However, when I use my pcshell, the results are completely
> different between the two machines.

I don't think its possible from this info to tell exactly what is
happening. However, if your shell preconditioner had a null space, you
could imagine
that you initially have a consistent approximation, but on one machine you
get a perturbation in the null direction which never goes away. I have
no other ideas.

  Matt