[petsc-users] Error reported by MUMPS in numerical factorization phase

Hong hzhang at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Dec 2 10:39:52 CST 2015

Danyang :

> My code fails due to the error in external library. It works fine for the
> previous 2000+ timesteps but then crashes.
>
> [4]PETSC ERROR: Error in external library
> [4]PETSC ERROR: Error reported by MUMPS in numerical factorization phase:
> INFO(1)=-1, INFO(2)=0

This simply says an error occurred in proc[0] during numerical
factorization, which usually either encounter a zeropivot or run out of
memory. Since it is at a later timesteps, which I guess you reuse matrix
factor, zeropivot might be the problem.
Is possible to run it in debugging mode? In this way, mumps would dump out
more information.

> Then I tried the same simulation on another machine using the same number
> of processors, it does not fail.

Does this machine  have larger memory?

Hong