[petsc-users] Time integrated adjoints

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Apr 14 07:30:11 CDT 2015

> On Apr 14, 2015, at 1:06 AM, Dave Makhija <makhijad at colorado.edu> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm evaluating my options for computing time dependent adjoints. I did not think PETSc supported this, but I see "TSAdjointSolve" in the development branch. That would be fantastic news if you plan to support time integrated adjoints!
>
> What features are envisioned and when is the targeted release date?

  Dave,

   We currently have discrete adjoint computations for explicit RK methods and for implicit theta methods (backward Euler and Crank-Nicholson). The development copy of the users manual has some discussion (http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-master/docs/manual.pdf page 135) and there are several examples.   I urge you to try them out now in master and stay in contact with us to insure we provide what you need as we are actively developing them.
We plan a release for early June.

  Barry