[petsc-users] Assembling Restriction and Prolongation Operators for Parallel Calculations

Eric Mittelstaedt emittelstaedt at uidaho.edu
Mon Apr 6 15:59:36 CDT 2015

Hi Matt

On 4/6/2015 6:49 AM, Matthew Knepley wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 12:16 AM, Eric Mittelstaedt
> <emittelstaedt at uidaho.edu <mailto:emittelstaedt at uidaho.edu>> wrote:
>
>     Hello all,
>        We are working on implementing restriction and prolongation
>     operators for algebraic multigrid in our finite difference
>     (staggered grid) code that solves the incompressible Stokes
>     problem.  So far, the restriction and prolongation operators we
>     have assembled in serial can successfully solve on a simple 2D
>     grid with multiple-level v-cycles.  However, we are running into
>     problems when we attempt to progress to parallel solves.  One of
>     the primary errors we run into is an incompatibility in matrix
>     types for MatMatMatMult and similar calls:
>
>     [0]PETSC ERROR: [1]PETSC ERROR: MatMatMatMult() line 9173 in
>     /opt/petsc/src/mat/interface/matrix.c MatMatMatMult requires A,
>     seqaij, to be compatible with B, mpiaij, C, seqaij
>     MatMatMatMult() line 9173 in /opt/petsc/src/mat/interface/matrix.c
>     MatMatMatMult requires A, seqaij, to be compatible with B, mpiaij,
>     C, seqaij
>

>     The root cause of this is likely the matrix types we chose for
>     restriction and prolongation. To ease calculation of our
>     restriction (R) and prolongation (P) matrices, we have created
>     them as sparse, sequential matrices (SEQAIJ) that are identical on
>     all procs.  Will this matrix type actually work for R and P
>     operators in parallel?
>

> You need to create them as parallel matrices, MPIAIJ for example, that
> have the same layout as the system matrix.

Okay, this is what I thought was the problem.  It is really a matter of
making sure we have the correct information on each processor.

>     It seem that setting this matrix type correctly is the heart of
>     our problem.  Originally, we chose SEQAIJ because we want to let
>     Petsc deal with partitioning of the grid on multiple processors.
>     If we do this, however, we don't know a priori whether Petsc will
>     place a processor boundary on an even or odd nodal point.  This
>     makes determining the processor bounds on the subsequent coarse
>     levels difficult.  One method for resolving this may be to handle
>     the partitioning ourselves, but it would be nice to avoid this if
>     possible. Is there a better way to set up these operators?
>

> You use the same partitioning as the system matrices on the two
> levels. Does this makes sense?

It does, but I am unsure how to get the partitioning of the coarser
grids since we don't deal with them directly.  Is it safe to assume that
the partitioning on the coarser grid will always overlap with the same
part of the domain as the fine level? In other words, the current
processor will receive the coarse grid that is formed by the portion of
the restriction matrix that it owns, right?

Thanks!
Eric

--

Eric Mittelstaedt, Ph.D.