[petsc-users] DMPlex with spring elements

Abhyankar, Shrirang G. abhyshr at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Sep 24 13:43:51 CDT 2014

>Thanks for your response. My discretization is based on spring elements.
>For the linear one dimensional case in which each spring has a
>coefficient k, their jacobian would be this two by two matrix.
>[  k    -k ]
>[ -k     k ]
>
>and the internal force
>
>[ k ( Ui - Uj) ]
>[ k ( Uj - Ui) ]
>
>where Ui and Uj are the node displacements (just one displacement per
>node because it's one dimensional)
>
>For the two dimensional case, assuming small deformations, we have a
>four-by-four matrix. Each node has two degrees of freedom. We obtain it
>by performing the outer product of the vector (t , -t) where "t" is the
>vector that connects both nodes in a spring. This is for the case of
>small deformations. I would need to assemble each spring contribution to
>the jacobian and the residual like they were finite elements. The springs
>share nodes, that's how they are connected. This example is just the
>linear case, I will have to implement a nonlinear case in a similar
>fashion.
>
>Seeing the DMNetwork example, I think it's what I need, although I don't
>know much of power electric grids and it's hard for me to understand
>what's going on. Do you have a good reference to be able to follow the
>code?

Please see the attached document which has more description of DMNetwork
and the equations for the power grid example. I don't have anything that
describes how the power grid example is implemented.

>For example, why are they adding components to the edges?
>
>475:     DMNetworkAddComponent
><http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-as/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/DM/D
>MNetworkAddComponent.html#DMNetworkAddComponent>(networkdm,i,componentkey[
>0],&pfdata.branch[i-eStart]);Miguel

Each edge or node can have several components (limited to 10) attached to
it. The term components, taken from the circuit terminology, refers to the
elements of a network. For example, a component could be a resistor,
inductor, spring, or even edge/vertex weights (for graph problems). For
code implementation, component is a data structure that holds the data
needed for the residual, Jacobian, or any other function evaluation. In
the case of power grid, there are 4 components: branches or transmission
lines connecting nodes, buses or nodes, generators that are incident at a
subset of the nodes, and loads that are also incident at a subset of the
nodes. Each of the these components are defined by their data structures
given in pf.h.

DMNetwork is a wrapper class of DMPlex specifically for network
applications that can be solely described using nodes, edges, and their
associated components. If you have a PDE, or need FEM, or need other
advanced features then DMPlex would be suitable. Please send us a write-up
of your equations so that we can assist you better.

Shri