[petsc-users] DMPlex with spring elements

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 12:01:39 CDT 2014

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 11:31 AM, Miguel Angel Salazar de Troya <
salazardetroya at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your response. My discretization is based on spring elements.
> For the linear one dimensional case in which each spring has a coefficient
> k, their jacobian would be this two by two matrix.
>
> [  k    -k ]
> [ -k     k ]
>
> and the internal force
>
> [ k ( Ui - Uj) ]
> [ k ( Uj - Ui) ]
>
> where Ui and Uj are the node displacements (just one displacement per node
> because it's one dimensional)
>
> For the two dimensional case, assuming small deformations, we have a
> four-by-four matrix. Each node has two degrees of freedom. We obtain it by
> performing the outer product of the vector (t , -t) where "t" is the vector
> that connects both nodes in a spring. This is for the case of small
> deformations. I would need to assemble each spring contribution to the
> jacobian and the residual like they were finite elements. The springs share
> nodes, that's how they are connected. This example is just the linear case,
> I will have to implement a nonlinear case in a similar fashion.
>
> Seeing the DMNetwork example, I think it's what I need, although I don't
> know much of power electric grids and it's hard for me to understand what's
> going on. Do you have a good reference to be able to follow the code? For
> example, why are they adding components to the edges?

Okay, I understand what you want now. I would recommend doing a simple
example by hand first. The PetscSection is very simple,
just 'dim' degrees of freedom for each vertex. It should look something like

DMPlexGetDepthStratum(dm, 0, &vStart, &vEnd);
PetscSectionCreate(comm, &s);
PetscSectionSetNumFields(s, 1);
PetscSectionSetChart(s, vStart, vEnd);
for (v = vStart; v < vEnd; ++v) {
  PetscSectionSetDof(s, v, dim);
}
PetscSectionSetUp(s);
DMSetDefaultSection(dm, s);
PetscSectionDestroy(&s);

Then when you form the residual, you loop over edges and add a contribution
to each vertex (I think, its still not
clear to me how your residual is defined)

VecGetArray(locF, &residual);
DMPlexGetHeightStratum(dm, 0, &cStart, &cEnd);
for (c = cStart; c < cEnd; ++c) {
  const PetscInt *cone;
  PetscInt offA, offB;

  DMPlexGetCone(c, &cone);
  PetscSectionGetOffset(s, cone[0], &offA);
  PetscSectionGetOffset(s, cone[1], &offB);
  residual[offA] = <contribution for vertex A>;
  residual[offB] = <contribution for vertex B>;
}
VecRestoreArray(locF, &residual);
<do LocalToGlobal unless PETSc is doing it for you>

After that works, using DMNetwork should be much easier.