[petsc-users] PETSc/TAU configuration

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Sep 16 08:21:41 CDT 2014

I haven't tried using TAU in a while - but here are some obvious things to try.

1. --download-mpich [or openmpi] with TAU does not make sense.

You would have to build MPICH/OpenMPI first.

Then build TAU to use this MPI.

And then build PETSc to use this TAU_CC/MPI

2. I would use only tau_cc.sh - and not bother with c++/fortran

i.e [with TAU build with a given mpicc] - configure PETSc with:
./configure --with-cc=tau_cc.sh --with-cxx=mpicxx --with-fc=mpif90

3. Do not use any --download-package when using tau_cc.sh. First check
if you are able to use TAU with PETSc - without externalpackages [you
would need blas,mpi. Use system blas/lapack for blas/lapack - and
build MPI as mentioned above for use with TAU and later PETSc]

And if you really need these externalpackage [assuming the above basic
build with TAU works] - I would recommend the following 2 step build process:

<build packages without TAU>
4.1. ./configure --with-cc=mpicc --with-cxx=mpicxx --with-fc=mpif90 --download-PACKAGE PETSC_ARCH=arch-packages

4.2. Now strip out the petsc relavent stuff from this location
rm -f arch-packages/include/petsc*.h

4.3. Now build PETSc with TAU - using these prebuilt-packages

./configure --with-cc=tau_cc.sh --with-cxx=mpicxx --with-fc=mpif90 PETSC_ARCH=arch-tau --with-PACKAGE-dir=`pwd`/arch-packages

BTW: the current release is petsc-3.5 - we recommend upgrading to
using it [as we usually support the latest release wrt debugging/bug
fixes]

Satish

1. dont use any download packages. If you need them - you have to
build them separately.

One way to do this - is to let petsc do the build like:

./configure --download-package PETSC_ARCH=arch-packages

[then remove