[petsc-users] Curiosity about MatSetOptionsPrefix on a_11 in PCSetUp_FieldSplit

Eric Chamberland Eric.Chamberland at giref.ulaval.ca
Thu Sep 11 12:31:17 CDT 2014

On 09/11/2014 12:52 PM, Matthew Knepley wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 11:47 AM, Eric Chamberland
>
> MatNest is absolutely the worst thing in the PETSc interface. You should

Sounds so strange to me... :-)

... because we decided to use MatNest to create sub-matrices for linear
vs quadratic parts of a velocity field
(http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/nla.757/abstract).  We
choosed MatNest to minimize the memory used, and "overloaded" the
MatSetValues calls to be able to do the assembly of u-u blocks in all 4
sub-matrices (doing global to local conversions with strides only).
This prevent us to do 4 different loops over all the elements (in other
words, it allows the assembly part of our code to not be aware that we
are doing the assembly into a matnest)!  We just have to do the
numbering of the dofs correctly before everything.

> never ever ever ever
> be calling MatNest directly. You should be assembling into one matrix
> from views. Then MatNest
> can be used for optimization in the background.

By "views" you mean doing MatGetLocalSubMatrix and
MatRestoreLocalSubMatrix like in
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/src/snes/examples/tutorials/ex28.c.html
?

but... If I do a velocity(u)-pressure(p) field problem, how do I fix a
block size of 3 for the u-u part and 1 for other parts without using a
MatNest (with sub-matrices with good options)?

(this will allows me to use a "fieldsplit_0_pc_type ml" with block size
3 on the u-u part for example)

> These are reasonable, but they really apply at creation time (since you
> would not want
> to convert after values have been set), and it sounds like that is what
> you are doing.

yep.

> Okay, so the name change is strange, and happens because MatNest returns
> a reference
> to the inner matrix rather than some view which gets created and
> destroyed. Let me talk
> to Jed.

ok, thanks for your help!.

Eric