[petsc-users] Putting petsc in a namespace

Tue Sep 9 06:12:07 CDT 2014

Am Montag, 8. September 2014, 10:53:27 schrieb Barry Smith:

> > I want to offer an interface that uses some Petsc types (like Vec and Mat) but I do not want to import all petsc symbols into the global namespace for anyone using the interface. That does not seam possible though...
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Florian
>
>    Which symbols do you want to have available and which ones not? Do you not want to use the other symbols but not let the user use them, for example, you want to use KSP but don’t want the user to have access to them? Or something else. Note that you can configure PETSc into several libraries and then use only the ones you want with -with-single-library=no  it creates a separate TS, SNES, KSP, DM, Mat,and Vec library.
>
>    Let us know what you want in more detail and we may have suggestions on how to achieve it.

Thanks for your help!

If a user of my class library does an #include "mypetsc.h" he should not get all the petsc symbols in his global namespace, e.g.

#include "mypetsc.h"

Vector v; // is an object of my class lib
Vec pv; // should not work, since I do not want petsc symbols in my global namespace
petsc::Vec pv; // fine, since petsc symbols are contained in namespace petsc. But this does not seem to be possible.

petsc::Vec = v.vector //  vector of type petsc::Vec is a public member of Vector. That's why "mypetsc.h" needs to #include "petscvec.h". Because of that an #include "mypetsc" imports all the symbols of "petscvec" into anyone wanting to use Vector.

Since "mypetsc.h" only contains declarations and no code I tried it with forward declarations of Vec, but no success.

At the end an #include "mypetsc.h" should import only my own symbols like Vector and Matrix. It would be ok, if it also imports Vec and Mat (which are types of public members / return types of public functions). It would also be ok, if it imports all other petsc symbols (like VecGetOwnershipRange) in a seperate namespace.

I hope I was able to convey what I want...

Thx,
Florian