[petsc-users] Petsc configuration and multiple branch working

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Sep 6 17:23:47 CDT 2014

   For your configuration I would recommend multiple local clones. Once you have the first petsc clone just do

   git clone petsc petsc-clone-1
   git clone petsc petsc-clone-2

   Now you have three PETSc directories and can have different branches in each. Note that git is “smart” and does not copy the entire repository for each clone; it maintains one repository but three working directories.

   The problem with using different PETSC_ARCH for each branch is that when you switch the branches it will sometimes/often change an include file that many of the C files are dependent on so make gmake will require recompiling much of the library, with different working directories this will not happen.

    Barry