[petsc-users] Petsc configuration and multiple branch working

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Sep 6 16:38:08 CDT 2014

On Sat, 6 Sep 2014, Alp Kalpalp wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Nowadays I am trying to build a branch and sometimes I am swittching back
> to master branch.

switching branch during a build will break the build..

> I experienced that configuring and making a branch requires almost 30
> minutes on cygwin.

yes windows/cygwin builds are slow.. Linux is faster. I know ssd speeds
up builds on linux. I'm guessing it will significantly speedup windows aswell.

> I wonder;
>
> 1- How do you manage more than one branches?

I don't do this yet - but I shoud: use different PETSC_ARCHes for
different branches

perhaps PETSC_ARCH autogenerated by configure should branch name aswell.

> 2- Do we need to reconfigure after a git pull?

Not normally - but ocassionally there are configure changes which
require reconfigure.

> 3- Are switching back and forward in between branches like me? or just
> using seperate work-dir for each branch?

I do both..

And ocassionally do 'rm -rf arch-* && git clean -f -d -x' to get a
prinstine repo [which deletes all my builds aswell]

> please help me I am so exhausted to configure and make petsc!!!!

Windows builds are slow. But now with gnumake builds - they are much
faster than before [configure is still slow]. linux+ssd builds are
much faster than windows [hence I'm lazy at maintaining multiple
builds..]

Satish