[petsc-users] Creating a symmetric matrix with the upper triangular elements

Evan Um evanum at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 23:30:14 CDT 2014

PETSC users,

As memory is at a premium in my problem, I want to compute only the upper
triangular elements of a matrix and then construct a parallel sparse
symmetric matrix. In this case, do I have to use "MatSetOption
<http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/Mat/MatSetOption.html#MatSetOption>
(A,MAT_SYMMETRIC,PETSC_TRUE
<http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/Sys/PETSC_TRUE.html#PETSC_TRUE>)"?
In this case, is the matrix internally stored in the memory saving mode
(i.e. the upper triangular elements only) or does this provide us with just
the convenience for computing half of matrix elements? In advance, thanks
for your comments.

Regards,
Evan