[petsc-users] Adaptive controllers in TS

Miguel Angel Salazar de Troya salazardetroya at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 19:06:16 CDT 2014

Thanks for your response

I'm struggling with this problem because the literature is not clear for me
on how to calculate the discrete adjoint with adaptive time stepping
algorithms. They cover the details when automatic differentiation tools are
used. They mention that because the time step depend on the solution, it
also depends on the parameter. Hence, there are terms that represent the
derivative of the time step w.r.t. the parameters. What it is confusing is
that they mention these terms must be removed. I don't understand this. I'm
planning to hard-code the discrete adjoint problem (and use the TS if
possible).

I know this might not be the place to ask this. Maybe Hong can help me here.

Miguel

--
*Miguel Angel Salazar de Troya*
Graduate Research Assistant