[petsc-users] Petsc performance

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Oct 18 11:03:35 CDT 2014

  Sang,

    The most important single number by far is total ACHIEVABLE memory bandwidth http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_bandwidth. The streams benchmark is a good way of measuring (we provide it in src/benchmarks/MPIVersion.c) the total achievable memory bandwidth when you have access to the machine.  Of course when you are buying a machine you may not have access. The total PEAK memory bandwidth can be a large amount higher than the achievable but is a way to start looking at machines. Ideally the vendor would give you access to the machine in order to run streams before you purchase.

   Barry