[petsc-users] preliminary questions before parallelizing structured solver

Yoann Cheny yoann.cheny at univ-lorraine.fr
Tue Oct 14 07:27:29 CDT 2014

Hi,
I'm working on the parallelization of an existing 3D solver for incompressible Navier-Stokes equations based on a cut-cell method.
The equations are discretized on a Cartesian staggered grid on which an arbitrary complex geomertry is represented by its level-set function such that the method preserves the usual Cartesian 7-points stencil.
The time integration is performed with a semi-explicit projection method (AB/BDF2) and as a result a Poisson eq. (for the pressure) and a Helmoltz eq. (momentum) must be solved at each time step.
Due to the data structure I plan to use DMDA object to build the linear system, am I right ?
I read in the archives that dmda objects were not designed to handle with staggered grids, does it still hold ?
And finally I plan to model my code on the ksp example ex46.c, is there any F90 version of it ?
Any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Best regards,
Yoann

Yoann CHENY
Maître de Conférences
Enseignement : EEIGM 03 83 36 83 49
Recherche : LEMTA UMR 7563 CNRS 03 83 59 55 94