[petsc-users] Problem with PETSc + HDF5 VecView

Håkon Strandenes haakon at hakostra.net
Mon Nov 24 13:10:34 CST 2014

Hi,

I have some problems with PETSc and HDF5 VecLoad/VecView. The VecLoad
problems can rest for now, but the VecView are more serious.

In short: I have a 3D DMDA with and some vectors that I want to save to
a HDF5 file. This works perfectly on my workstation, but not on the
compute cluster I have access to. I have attached a typical error message.

I have also attached an piece of code that can trigger the error. The
code is merely a 2D->3D rewrite of DMDA ex 10
(http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/src/dm/examples/tutorials/ex10.c.html),
nothing else is done.

The program typically works on small number of processes. I have
successfully executed the attached program on up to 32 processes. That
works. Always. I have never had a single success when trying to run on
64 processes. Always same error.

The computer I am struggling with is an SGI machine with SLES 11sp1 and
Intel CPUs, hence I have used Intels compilers. I have tried both 2013,
2014 and 2015 versions of the compilers, so that's probably not the
cause. I have also tried GCC 4.9.1, just to be safe, same error there.
The same compiler is used for both HDF5 and PETSc. The same error
message occurs for both debug and release builds. I have tried HDF5
versions 1.8.11 and 1.8.13. I have tried PETSc version 3.4.1 and the
latest from Git. The MPI implementation on the machine is SGI's MPT, and
i have tried both 2.06 and 2.10. Always same error. Other MPI
implementations is unfortunately not available.

What really drives me mad is that this works like a charm on my
workstation with Linux Mint... I have successfully executed the attached
example on 254 processes (my machine breaks down if I try anything more
than that).

Does any of you have any tips on how to attack this problem and find out
what's wrong?

Regards,
Håkon Strandenes